Friday, October 13, 2006

Military Life

I'm coming up on my fourth year in the military and a huge decision is lurking around the corner. I joined the Air Force, thinking I was going to stay in for twenty years. After my twenty, I'd get out get another job and stay there until I retire again. With no worries and two retirement checks coming in, I'd be free to travel and run free.That is what I was expecting when I joined, but now I have a problem. The military wants me, but they want me to do something different than what I do now. What?!?! Get another job with the same company, when its not even close to what I do now. They want me to be Transportation, Services or something else that has nothing to do with Communications Maintenance. The reason that they are kicking me out of my career field is not because I suck at it, or that I don't want to be there. It's because I have been on the same base for too long. How can you punish me for something I have had no control of? I have been trying as hard as I can to get of Andrews AFB and go overseas or to another part of the country, they would never send me. I enjoy the job I have now, too much to work at the gym and hand out basketballs. I know some one has to do it but, I'm not that someone. Is it a sin to like what I do?Recently, I decided that I don't like a lot of the bullshit the military puts you through. In no particular order, I am listing some and by all means not all of the crap. - Shaving: if not at all then let me not shave in peace on my day off.- PT: mandatory PT (even if you are in shape and go to the gym regularly) and Air Force PT shorts are way too short.- Dormitory prisons: People were forced to live in the provided dormitories, even if they are good financially, and lived by themselves years before the military.- School: not paying for college as promised (the computers at the education office were down, so I had to cancel one of my fall semester classes.)- Repetitive Emails: I keep getting the same g/d email, with the person forwarding it to me only typing "FYI". Like I didn't receive it the first time, assholes!!- Job Security: I am tired of hearing that the military has good job security; I know first hand that they don't! What they have, is what I would call "Slot Security", if they kick you out of the career field that you are currently holding; they'll give you another slot in a different field totally unrelated to the one you have and enjoy.- Vaccinations: Why would you give me a virus that was named, "The Greatest Killer"(smallpox)? If I asked for it then give it to me but don't force that shit on me.I'm sure I can think of more, those are the ones that are on my mind right at this moment. I think I can only stay in the military, if they either give me a job that is close to what I want or let me keep the job I have. Right now I am working along side a contractor that makes more in a month than I make in a year doing the same job. WTF?! I want that. I'll look into it more in the coming months. I do have to say though, money is not as important to me as job satisfaction is. If I can do this job and make tons more doing it, then that's where I belong.Don't get me wrong, though. I have had great experiences in the military. It has given me so much, while at the same time, dragging me through huge piles of shit. Before, I would just stand up, wipe the crap off of me and move on. I don't think I can handle the crap ahead.I think that is enough bitching in this blog. I don't have much time to decide, so any input would be appreciated greatly.
-Neises

1 comment:

Pete K said...

I wouldn't take their shit!
So it is writ.
You must quit.